SFW: Shorts film competition is run and organised by City Eye. The competition screening and awards ceremony will take place in Southampton Film Week (SFW) between 8th – 17th November 2019. The final selection of all films presented at the competition screening is the responsibility of City Eye.
- SFW: Shorts is open to short films of all production techniques, including animation, documentary, drama, experimental and artist film. Films should not be focused on the promotion of commercial products or services.
- Films cannot exceed 10 minutes duration (including credits). There is no minimum length. Films made before January 2018 will not be accepted.
- The person submitting the film must be authorised to do so and is responsible for ensuring that formal permission is held in relation to all those who have ownership or rights in connection with it. This includes cast and crew (or parents/guardians if under 16).
- Third party elements such as music, sound, graphics or still images used within the production should be original, copyright free or where copyrighted, filmmakers must have obtained necessary permission for the inclusion of this content.
- The content of the film cannot, in the opinion of City Eye, be deemed offensive or defamatory.
- If the original language of any dialogue or text featured in the film is not English, the film must be subtitled in English.
- By sharing any film with City Eye you agree to grant to City Eye, free of charge, a non-exclusive, perpetual and worldwide licence to re-publish any material you submit, post, upload, email or otherwise transmit to City Eye or Southampton Film Week and permission to use the material in any way it wants (including modifying and adapting it) for the purposes of promoting City Eye or Southampton Film Week. This may include presenting your film at events organised by third party organisations. Your work will always be acknowledged as yours and we will always endeavour to confirm your agreement to further screenings of this kind in advance.
- You may submit more than one film to SFW: Shorts.
- The deadline for early bird submissions is Thursday 25th July 2019. The Regular deadline is Saturday 24th August 2019.
- The final deadline for receipt of entries for this competition is 12 noon on Monday 16th September 2019. Film submissions will not be accepted for competition after this date.
- All filmmakers whose films are shortlisted will be notified by email or phone by Friday 18th October 2019.
- All shortlisted filmmakers will be invited to attend the screening and awards ceremony during Southampton Film Week. City Eye and SFW regret that it is not possible to fund entrants to attend this event (e.g. travel, accommodation etc).
- Shortlisted films will be judged by an independent panel and winners will be announced at the Screening and Awards Ceremony during SFW19. The decision of the judges is final. All shortlisted films will be eligible for the Michael Fuller Award for Best Film and the Audience Award. Filmmakers from Hampshire, Dorset, Wiltshire, Berkshire, Surrey, West Sussex and Isle of Wight will also be in contention for the Regional Filmmaker Award.
- City Eye and SFW are not able to provide individual feedback in relation to any submission either before entry or following short-listing or judging.
- If your film is shortlisted you will be requested to provide a high quality screening copy of the original film as a data file on memory stick or online transfer and as .mov, .avi, .mpeg or .mp4 format in either standard definition or as HDV1080i/p. If City Eye/SFW does not receive your film within the timescale supplied, your film will no longer be eligible to be judged. It is recommended that filmmakers allow sufficient time for films to arrive and that a guaranteed delivery service is used.
- Southampton Film Week and City Eye will ensure that all personal information provided within the submission form will never be used for anything other than direct contact from the competition, SFW or City Eye and will not be shared with any other organisation or festival without your permission.
FINAL DEADLINE: Monday 16th September 2019.